Calorimeter

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nysa Lilani 1J

Calorimeter

Postby Nysa Lilani 1J » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 pm

Since a calorimeter does not allow for heat transfer as it is insulated, this would be an example of an isolated system, right?

Andrea Liang 1I

Re: Calorimeter

Postby Andrea Liang 1I » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:21 pm

Yes, calorimeters are in theory isolated systems because they do not allow transfer of heat or matter.

Gavin_Postiff_2I

Postby Gavin_Postiff_2I » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:24 pm

An isolated system means that there is no transfer of matter or energy. Since a calorimeter prevents energy from flowing in and out of a system and does not allow matter to be exchanged, it is a isolated system. I hope this helps!

Jose-Joaquin Garcia 1K

Postby Jose-Joaquin Garcia 1K » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:21 pm

Yeah even though there's never really a "true" isolated system because of minute amounts of energy that change from the system to the surroundings, a calorimeter is for our uses an isolated system.

Destiny Caldwell 3J

Postby Destiny Caldwell 3J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:37 pm

Not quite. A calorimeter, while insulated to minimize heat exchange with the surroundings, typically does not prevent mass exchange with the surroundings. Therefore, it doesn't meet the criteria of an isolated system, which prohibits both heat and mass exchange. Instead, a calorimeter is typically considered a closed system, as it restricts heat transfer but allows for mass exchange (e.g., through chemical reactions or phase changes occurring within the calorimeter).

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”