Ch 8. Q.1  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kayla_Black_2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Ch 8. Q.1

Postby Kayla_Black_2B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi, I'm curious as to why d) gasoline burning in an automobile engine is an open system rather than closed? Since the engine is within the car, right?

Thomas_Rodriguez_3G

Re: Ch 8. Q.1

Postby Thomas_Rodriguez_3G » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 pm

The way I thought about this one has to do with defining the system. I defined the system as the combustion chamber and the surroundings as everything else. Thus, both matter and energy are able to enter and leave the system at will, because a gasoline or diesel engine requires an intake of O2 and an expulsion of H2O, CO2, and other products. Also, heat is clearly transferred from the system to the surroundings (aka why the engine oil heats up). I hope this helps!!

Jasmine_Esparza_2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ch 8. Q.1  [ENDORSED]

Postby Jasmine_Esparza_2A » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Kayla_Black_2B wrote:Hi, I'm curious as to why d) gasoline burning in an automobile engine is an open system rather than closed? Since the engine is within the car, right?

An open system is defined as a system where matter and energy can transfer with the surrounds. SO specifically with this question, because you are able to add matter (gasoline) into the system (engine), it follows the definition of an open system.
Hope this helped!

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”