Calorimeter

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kayla Tchorz-Dis 1F

Calorimeter

Postby Kayla Tchorz-Dis 1F » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Can someone explain to me the importance and function of a calorimeter? Is this something that will be a big topic in our upcoming problems?

Kevin Ru 1D

Re: Calorimeter

Postby Kevin Ru 1D » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 pm

A calorimeter is how we measure specific heat capacity. The coffee cup calorimeter measures heat under conditions of constant pressure while the bomb calorimeter measures heat under constant volume. Not sure about your second question, but I do suspect that we'll see more of it in problems and application.

Rachel Brown 3A

Postby Rachel Brown 3A » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:36 pm

This probably won't be a huge topic but simply more of an example for how specific heat is measured. The example gives you a little more depth into understanding that specific heat capacity is an intensive property (meaning it doesn't depend on the amount of substance)

Mitch Walters

Postby Mitch Walters » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:05 pm

It is a way of measuring a specific form of energy.

Frenz Cabison 1B

Postby Frenz Cabison 1B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:54 pm

We use a calorimeter to measure the amount of heat energy, which I think we can then use to calculate the specific heat of a substance.

Sarah Rutzick 1L

Postby Sarah Rutzick 1L » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Calorimeters are used to find unknown variables in the q=mCΔT equation, such as specific heat or energy of the reaction.

Scout_2C

Postby Scout_2C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 pm

I think (pls don't kill me if I'm wrong, but please correct me if I am) that when we are told that a calorimeter is involved, it will tell us the eternal conditions and tell us what kind of system it is. So a 'bomb calorimeter' is a closed system and a 'coffee calorimeter' is an open system that usually functions at a constant pressure. Idk. And like the others said these are used to measure the heat of chemical reactions or physical changes.

aaron tang 2K

Postby aaron tang 2K » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 pm

calorimeter is used to measure specific heat capacity. In the example of the coffee cup calorimeter, heat is measured under conditions of constant pressure and in the bomb calorimeter, heat is measured under conditions of constant pressure. Use Q=m x C x Delta T

Justin Folk 3I

Postby Justin Folk 3I » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 am

The calorimeter is usually calibrated well so that there is little heat lost that is not absorbed by the substance you are measuring heat. Thus you can measure the heat of a reaction, and thus you can also measure the heat per mole (by measuring the amt. of substance consumed)

Guangyu Li 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Guangyu Li 2J » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:23 am

Most people believe that the calorimeter was first used by French chemist Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier to determine the calorific value of a guinea pig. The heat released by the guinea pig melted the surrounding snow of the calorimeter that proves that the exchange between the system and the surroundings. In modern thermodynamics, it is mainly used for measuring the heat of the chemical reactions and physical changes. It can also measure the heat capacity and the enthalpy change. As a result, it is a really important equipment in calorimetry and thermodynamics.

Hope this helps!

Amelia Georgius 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amelia Georgius 1K » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm

A calorimeter can measure energy that will be used in calculations.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”