Internal Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vanessa Romero-Campos 2B

Internal Energy

Postby Vanessa Romero-Campos 2B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 pm

In class, we went over an example that talked about a piston moving out and the energy of the system decreasing by an amount. The first diagram showed the formula F=P*A and the second showed that V=A*d. Why is it that the volume is the area times displacement of the piston? Why does it only take into consideration the volume of the part that was displaced rather than the entire systems volume?

I have attached a picture of the diagram i was talking about down below.
Attachments
20180119_115525.jpg
illustrations

Sandhya Rajkumar 1C

Re: Internal Energy

Postby Sandhya Rajkumar 1C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm

In the diagram, I believe that the volume is area x displacement of the piston because we need to calculate the change in volume (delta V) not the volume of the entire system. And so in order to calculate the change in volume, we would multiply the area and the distance that the piston has been displaced.

Sarah Maraach 2K

Postby Sarah Maraach 2K » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 pm

If you look at it mathematically, delta V is final V minus initial V, therefore your change would equate to the amount displaced. But, overall, we really are using the values of the entire system’s volume, just using the actual change between the two volumes.

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 pm

The formula requires the delta V because we are trying to calculate how much the system changed overall.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”