Isolated System Example

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sallina_yehdego 2E

Isolated System Example

Postby sallina_yehdego 2E » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 am

I understand the concepts of systems, but what's a good example of an isolated system?

Jane Burgan 1C

Re: Isolated System Example

Postby Jane Burgan 1C » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:13 am

An example of an isolated system would be a thermos because no energy or heat can be exchanged with the surroundings because the walls are thermally insulated (no heat), and the volume is constant (no energy as work).

Alexa_Henrie_1I

Postby Alexa_Henrie_1I » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 am

The universe is also considered an isolated system because the energy of the universe is constant.

LorenzoDuvergne3I

Postby LorenzoDuvergne3I » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am

The thermos is always a good example, but all an isolated system really is is an insulated closed system. So you could theoretically take any closed system (like a gas tank), insulate it, and create an isolated system

Nicole Garrido 2I

Postby Nicole Garrido 2I » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 pm

An isolated system means that there is no matter or energy transfer between the contents in the inside and its surroundings. The most general example of a truly closed system is the universe because there is nothing that exists outside of the universe so nothing can be transferred between it and its surroundings. Another example is a thermos because the heat and matter is kept inside because of insolation. Finally, the example that Lavelle uses is a calorimeter because materials can be burned inside and measured because heat and can't escape to the surroundings.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”