Systems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Pham 1D

Systems

Postby Hannah Pham 1D » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:19 pm

What's a quick way to know if something is open, closed, or isolated? It gets confusing.

Elisa Bass 4L

Re: Systems

Postby Elisa Bass 4L » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Open systems can exchange both matter and energy with the surroudings. I think of it like an open, uninsulated container. Closed systems can exchange just energy. So no matter can be added to change the system, but energy can be exchanged with the surroundings, so basically any closed container. Isolated systems do not interact with the surroundings, so neither heat nor matter can be exchanged. I think of it like a closed thermos.

Ryan Troutman 4L

Postby Ryan Troutman 4L » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Usually the problem will say "In a closed system" or "In an open system..., however if you're trying to find exactly what it is, then you have to know how energy is transferred between the two!
An open system can interact with both matter (say liquid) and energy with the surrounds. For example, you can pour in water and change the volume of an open system, or you can place your hand on it and transfer heat.
A closed system can only transfer energy, say through heat again by touching it.
An isolated system can have no interactions with either matter or energy, which is sometimes called isothermic. A good example could be a hydroflask wrapped in a very good insulator or a bomb calorimeter.
Hope this helps :)

Jchellis 1I

Postby Jchellis 1I » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

More examples could be a cup (open), a jar (closed), and a cooler (insulated).

Xingzheng Sun 2K

Postby Xingzheng Sun 2K » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Simply, an open system means both matter and energy can exchange; A closed system can exchange energy but not matter. An isolated system does not exchange either matter or system.

Desiree1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Desiree1G » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:07 am

Open you can think of it as if something can fall out of it, hence it can exchange heat and matter. Like a plant, it is exposed. Closed well nothing can fall out, but heat can still be exchanged. Isolated nothing is exchanged because it is isolated away from everything.

Jack Hewitt 2H

Postby Jack Hewitt 2H » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Open systems: Exchange both matter and energy with the surroundings
Closed systems: Exchange just energy
Isolated systems: Neither heat nor matter can be exchanged

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”