question on lecture notes about closed system

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mallika Singh 1G

question on lecture notes about closed system

Postby Mallika Singh 1G » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm

For my notes under the definition of a closed system, I have (for the example specifically) "Ex: sealed beaker of water: Beaker does not insulate"
I'm confused as to what a lack of insulation has to do with it being a closed system? Or do I have the notes wrong? Thank you for your help!

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Re: question on lecture notes about closed system

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm

A closed system means that the matter can not leave and matter can not come in. However, energy in the form of heat can leave/enter. That's probably why you said does not insulate, because the temp can change.

Bilal Pandit 1J

Postby Bilal Pandit 1J » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:16 pm

If there was insulation, then it would be an isolated system, as there would be no change in matter or heat.

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 pm

It is important to note that the beaker does not insulate because this ensures that transfer of heat can still occur (otherwise it would be an isolated system).

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 pm

the beaker not being insulated is important for its distinction from an isolated system, since as it is not insulated heat/energy can be exchanged.

Orrin Zhong 4G

Postby Orrin Zhong 4G » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 pm

A closed system cannot exchange matter with its surroundings but can exchange heat. Therefore, the lack of insulation for the closed system allows for heat exchange between the closed system and the surroundings. If it was completely insulated, it would be an isolated system because it cannot exchange matter or heat with its surroundings.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”