Extensive and State properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Riya Sood 4G

Extensive and State properties

Postby Riya Sood 4G » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 am

Are state properties also considered to be extensive properties ? Is there any correlation between the two concepts ?

lilymayek_1E

Re: Extensive and State properties

Postby lilymayek_1E » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am

state functions can be considered both extensive and intensive; a good example are heat capacity values. regular heat capacity, for example, is an extensive property because it depends on the mass amount in that particular moment. specific heat capacity(and molar heat capacity), on the other hand, is an intensive property, because it is a property that is universal to that particular material; it's innate. Heat capacity is the only state property that I've seen distinctly has this quality; I think properties like P & V are dependent on amounts, so they're extensive.

Aarushi Solanki 4F

Postby Aarushi Solanki 4F » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 am

There's no direct relationship between these two concepts. State functions are simply properties that don't consider the path taken to achieve a given state, only considering the final state itself. Extensive properties are properties that change based on the amount of matter present. For example, heat capacity is an extensive property because the energy required to heat a given mass increases as the amount of mass increases. Specific heat capacity, on the other hand, is an intensive property because the term itself specifies that it is the heat required to increase the temperature of 1 gram of substance by 1 degree Celsius. Because it already specifies that it is a per gram term, the number of grams itself is irrelevant.

rohun2H

Postby rohun2H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:10 am

They are separate concepts I believe.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”