closed and open system better understandable and explaination

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cristian Cortes 1L

closed and open system better understandable and explaination

Postby Cristian Cortes 1L » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:43 pm

I am having trouble really understanding the final 20ish minute of lecture #10. I was hoping someone can break it down more or explain it differently ?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: closed and open system better understandable and explaination

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:19 pm

20 mins is a lot to type. Can you post specific questions that way it makes it possible for everyone to answer/discuss.

Asia Yamada 2B

Postby Asia Yamada 2B » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:24 pm

I’m not sure as to what you’re referring to because that’s a big chunk of the lecture, but an open system is one that can exchange both matter AND energy with its surroundings (doesn’t insulate), a closed system is one that only can exchange energy with the surroundings (doesn’t insulate), and an isolated system is one that can’t exchange matter nor energy with the surroundings.

Ephrem Gerald 2A

Postby Ephrem Gerald 2A » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:28 pm

I agree with the above post and I think I can give some examples as well to help clarify anything. An open system would be like a pot of water just sitting out in the open with nothing covering it, a closed system may be if you were to close that pot of water with a lid, and an isolated system where neither matter nor energy can be exchanged could be like a bomb calorimeter in the lab.

Anthony_Sandoval_1D

Postby Anthony_Sandoval_1D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm

That's a big time lapse but ima assume you're talking about the different systems. An open system is similar to a cup of water with nothing to cover the top with. A closed system would be like putting a lid on top of a mug with coffee. An isolated system is like a bomb calorimeter. Basically, nothing comes in and nothing comes out.

Edgar Velazquez 2K

Postby Edgar Velazquez 2K » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Like the others, I'm going to assume you want an explanation about open, closed, and isolated systems. An open system is a system where both mass and energy can be added or removed. A closed system is a system where only energy can be added or removed, mass cannot be. An isolated system is a system where neither mass nor energy can be added or removed.

Bai Rong Lin 2K

Postby Bai Rong Lin 2K » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:56 pm

Open system is when you can add both mass and energy and remove them, whereas a closed system you can not alternate the mass but energy can be added or removed. Isolated is when nothing can be changed.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”