Specific Heat

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily_Stenzler_2H

Specific Heat

Postby Emily_Stenzler_2H » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:36 pm

Can someone explain the difference between finding specific heat and heat capacity? Is specific heat kj/c^-1xmol^-1? How do we solve for heat capacity?

KatarinaReid_3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Specific Heat

Postby KatarinaReid_3H » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:41 pm

Specific heat is an intensive property because it does not depend on the amount of matter present: C= J/(g x degrees C) (Could be grams or moles), q=mCdeltaT

However, heat capacity is extensive because the amount of matter present does matter. C= J/degrees C, q= C x delta T

Using those formula will allow you to solve for specific/heat capacity. Generally, I find that it helps to look at what final units I am trying to get in order to find these values because then you can multiply or divide by the correct values and units.

Samuel Flores 1E

Postby Samuel Flores 1E » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Hello! The main difference between specific heat capacity and heat capacity is that: heat capacity is the energy (in J) to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 °C (depends on the amount of substance).
On the other hand, specific heat capacity is the energy (in J) to raise 1 gram of a substance by 1 °C (does not depend on the amount of substance)

You can identify this easily by looking at the units, where heat capacity is typically in units of J/°C, while specific heat capacity is in units of J/(g.°C).

Hope this helps!

Neal_Agarwal_3B

Postby Neal_Agarwal_3B » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy in joules to increase the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degrees Celsius. Often the units of these are J/Grams *C. Heat capacity on the other hand will be just the amount of energy needed to raise the substance 1 Kelvin or 1 degree Celsius. Specific heat capacity is more precise and used in the equation mcdeltaT.

Shrey Pawar 2A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shrey Pawar 2A » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm

It might also help to point out that if it says molar specific heat capacity as opposed to just specific heat capacity that the units would need to be converted to grams from moles. I'm sure everyone knows this but I just wanted to add this in just in case.

Ephrem Gerald 2A

Postby Ephrem Gerald 2A » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 pm

Specific heat is just how much energy is required to raise the substance by 1K or 1C and it does not depend on the mass or moles of substance but specific heat capacity depends on the mass and molar heat capacity depends on the moles. You may often see specific heat used when talking about bomb calorimeters.

Thomas Vu 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Thomas Vu 1A » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Yea just to add on, specifc heat capacity refers to mass (grams) so use in q = mCdeltaT. Also if you re given total heat capacity of the calorimeter, you can just do q = CdeltaT

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Specific heat takes into account the mass of the compound while heat capacity does not.

In more formal terms, heat capacity (typically denoted by C) is the heat required to raise the temperature of an object by 1 degree Celsius; since the heat required depends on the amount of substance, heat capacity is an extensive property. On the other hand, specific heat capacity (typically denoted by Cs) is the heat capacity of a substance divided by the amount of that substance present (in units of kJ/oC·g or kJ/K·g); in other words, it is the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius; specific heat capacity is an intensive property. To sum it up in an equation, Cs=C/m.

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Specific heat does not change depending on the amount of substance but specific heat capacity does. Specific heat capacity can be modeled by q=mcdelta or q=ncdeltaT depending on whether you want to find the specific heat in mass or moles.

Anastasia Yulo 1C

Postby Anastasia Yulo 1C » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:30 pm

Heat capacity is the ratio of the amount of heat energy transferred to an object to the resulting increase in its temperature. (J/K)
Specific heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of one gram of a pure substance by one degree K. (J/gK)

Specific heat capacity is dependent on the amount of substance! What helps me remember is by understanding that it is SPECIFIC to the amount (ergo specific heat capacity). Whereas heat capacity is not.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”