Open vs closed system

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aya Watson 2B

Open vs closed system

Postby Aya Watson 2B » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am

I understand how energy can be exchanged w the surroundings in an open system, but I don't understand how it can happen in a closed system. Can someone please explain further?

Jamie Lin 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Open vs closed system

Postby Jamie Lin 1K » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:57 am

Energy can be exchanged in a closed system because the system allows for heat and work to be transferred between the system and surroundings. For instance, in an instant cold pack, matter is not exchanged. However, the cold pack(system) absorbs heat from the surroundings. This means the cold pack is an example of a closed system.

Simone Byun 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Simone Byun 1F » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:59 am

I found the example that Prof used in lecture a lot, which is a beaker of water. In an open system, water would be able to evaporate from the beaker and the beaker would not serve as an insulator either. However, for a closed system where the beaker is sealed, water would not be able to evaporate, but the beaker would still not serve as an insulator. I believe that this would lead to an exchange of energy because even though the system is closed, the temperature of the water can still change.

Prithvi Raj 3E

Postby Prithvi Raj 3E » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:25 pm

The energy in a closed system can increase when the system is heated or cooled. This results in a change in temperature, as the container of the closed system serves as an insulator.

Postby 105691548 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:31 pm

In a closed system, according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy must be constant and can not increase or decrease without an encounter with its surroundings. An example of a closed system where the energy is constant is the contents of a pressure cooker on a stove with its lid tightly closed since no mass can enter or leave the pressure cooker but the heat can be transferred to it.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”