Difference between equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace Strottman 2B

Difference between equations

Postby Grace Strottman 2B » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:33 pm

I know that in ap chemistry we learned that the thermodynamics equation was q=mc(delta T) however in this class were learning q = g(Csp)(tf-Ti). Does anyone know the difference between the 2 equations and why were using this one?

Shimona_Gupta_3I

Re: Difference between equations

Postby Shimona_Gupta_3I » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:41 pm

The equations are essentially the same. The delta T in the ap chem equation is the difference between the final temperature and the initial temperature which is reflected in the Chem 14B equation as (Tf - Ti). Additionally, in the ap chem equation, there is the m(c) where m stands for mass and c is the specific heat capacity. The same is represented in the chem 14B equation with g(Csp) where g stands for grams or in other words, mass and Csp is specific heat capacity. (as a reminder specific heat capacity is the energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree celsius). So essentially both equations are the same with different variables for the constants.

Jennifer Liu 2A

Postby Jennifer Liu 2A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:06 am

Whichever equation is easier for you to remember, you can use, because they're the same equation (just with different names for the variables) :))

Christian Huang 1G

Postby Christian Huang 1G » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:28 am

Hi! I had a question in regard to different equations as well. How does delta V change based on the type of system? I think we went over how w=0 in an open system but do any other variables change depending on the type of system?

Tatum Pearlman 2D

Postby Tatum Pearlman 2D » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:49 am

Hey Grace!!!! I was also confused on this at first, but then I realized that the g(grams) is the same as the m(mass), the c(specific heat capacity) is the same as Csp(specific heat capacity when pressure is constant), and the delta T is just change in T, which is Tfinal-Tinitial. Whichever one you use, you should get the same answer because you will be using the same numbers

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”