Open, closed, isolated systems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nick_Graessle_2A

Open, closed, isolated systems

Postby Nick_Graessle_2A » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 pm

Hello

How can we tell if a system is open, closed, or isolated or will it be given?

Andrew Dinh 2L

Re: Open, closed, isolated systems

Postby Andrew Dinh 2L » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:10 pm

Usually, telling these three systems apart involves looking at the flow of matter and energy between the system and surroundings. Does matter and energy move between the system and surroundings? Then it's an open system (ie. boiling water in a kettle with no lid). Is it just energy flowing between the system and surroundings? Then it's closed (i.e. boiling water in a kettle with a lid). If neither matter or energy can move between the two, then it's isolated (i.e. a bomb calorimeter). In terms of problems, I don't think it's too important to distinguish between the two, since generally most problems that we'll do (in calorimetry and thermochemistry) will be closed systems.

Ellie Garcia 2L

Postby Ellie Garcia 2L » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:11 am

Hi Nick,

Like Andrew said, but I'll just summerize: An open system is one that can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings. A closed system is one that can exchange energy but not matter with its surroundings. An isolated system is one that can neither exchange matter nor energy with its surroundings.

Lizze Cardoso 2I

Postby Lizze Cardoso 2I » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:02 pm

An open system can exchange matter and energy with its surroundings. A closed system can exchange energy with its surroundings only. An isolated system cannot exchange matter or energy with its surroundings, so NOTHING is exchanged.

Mehreen_Suzaan_1A

Postby Mehreen_Suzaan_1A » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:41 pm

Also, I believe something was said in the lecture about isolated systems being on the rarer side and that open systems would be looked at the most.

Saahithi Kari

Postby Saahithi Kari » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:42 pm

We will most likely have to identify whether a system is open, closed, or isolated. However, as long as you can identify the characteristics of the system and match it to each type of system, it is relatively straightforward. An open system is any system that can exchange matter and energy with its surroundings. A closed system can only exchange energy with its surroundings, and an isolated system can transfer neither.

GPena1F

Postby GPena1F » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 pm

Nick_Graessle_2A wrote:Hello

How can we tell if a system is open, closed, or isolated or will it be given?

An open system can exchange both matter and energy with the surroundings while a closed system can only exchange energy with the surroundings. An isolated system cannot exchange energy or matter with its surroundings.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”