Why would a system at equilibrium change in an infinite amount of small steps?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Danielle_Cho_3A

Why would a system at equilibrium change in an infinite amount of small steps?

Postby Danielle_Cho_3A » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:24 pm

In Lecture 11, Professor Lavelle said. “FOR SYSTEMS AT EQUILIBRIUM: WE REFER TO ALL CHANGES (e.g., CHANGE IN V) AS OCCURRING IN VERY SMALL STEPS.” Why would a system at equilibrium change at all?

Ellie Garcia 2L

Re: Why would a system at equilibrium change in an infinite amount of small steps?

Postby Ellie Garcia 2L » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Hi Danielle!

I think a system in thermodynamic equilibrium would change if there is a perturbation or an external influence that affects one or more of the thermodynamic variables of the system. For example, the temperature, pressure, or composition of the system may change due to an external stimulus, such as the addition or removal of heat, the application of a pressure difference, or the introduction of a new substance.

When such a change occurs, the system will respond by adjusting its thermodynamic variables until a new state of thermodynamic equilibrium is reached. In general, a system will tend to move from a state of higher free energy to a state of lower free energy in an effort to minimize its overall free energy and reach a state of thermodynamic stability.

A system in equilibrium will change if there is an input of energy or matter that disrupts the balance of the system and drives it towards a new state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

I don't know if this helps at all, but please do let me know!

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”