equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

equations

Postby 905934944 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:51 pm

how do we know when to use which equation for a certain question

Nathan_Peng_3B

Re: equations

Postby Nathan_Peng_3B » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:17 pm

I'm not sure which questions you mean specifically, but in general I think it's good to look at the information given by the problem, then pick an equation which uses that type of information. For example, if we see that there's a given number of moles, a molar specific heat, and a given temperature change we know to use q=nC(deltaT), since we were given n, C, and deltaT. Sometimes it's not completely clear which equations match the information you're given because you may need to use multiple equations (ie changing mass to moles, or final temperature and initial temperature), but in either situation if you can manage to put different concepts and equations together then the information in the question should be sufficient. Hope this helps!

Daniel Bielin 1L

Postby Daniel Bielin 1L » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:48 pm

So far, we've covered a number of equations. If you want to calculate the degeneracy (W), we use the Boltzmann equation (S = Kb ln W). If we want to find entropy we use the equation . If we want to find the change in internal energy, we use the equation , where q is heat added and w is the work done.

Nicole Nakama 1A

Postby Nicole Nakama 1A » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 pm

Thermodynamics has a multitude of different equations. At first, it's overwhelming but just sort out what you know and what you are given. A lot of these equations are connected in some way as well, so constantly ask yourself how you may advance further to achieve the desired calculation.

Yijia_ZHOU
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Yijia_ZHOU » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:03 am

Just to add on, i think it is helpful to know how the equations are derived instead of knowing what the equations are.

Abigail S 2C

Postby Abigail S 2C » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:24 pm

Does anyone have a good list of equations for thermodynamics / how do we decide to se hem base on the given information?

Postby 705968973 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:25 pm

My strategy for knowing which equation to use in a question is by first finding all of the known and unknown variables in a question. Based on all of the variables present, I then think of an equation that has all of the known variables and helps me find the unknown variable. Also familiarizing yourself with different problem types through repetition will eventually help you make quicker decisions on what equation to use.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”