When to use Cv or Cp? to calculate change in Entropy

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mirna_Velasco_1L

When to use Cv or Cp? to calculate change in Entropy

Postby Mirna_Velasco_1L » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:20 am

I understand that we use Cv or Cp when the it states that its either at constant volume or pressure? But if these words are not used, and it just states that its a monatomic ideal gas, which C do use? I noticed that we normally use Cv but why?

Paul Sedaros 1B

Re: When to use Cv or Cp? to calculate change in Entropy

Postby Paul Sedaros 1B » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:34 am

When we use Cv, it is usually used when there is a change in temperature in the problem

Maria Bajenov 1I

Postby Maria Bajenov 1I » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 pm

It depends on the type of system the reaction is being carried out in. If the problem specifies that it is isothermal, use Cp. It it is being carried out in isochoric, use Cv. If it is isobaric, use Cp to calculate q because pressure is not changing and change in volume will be accounted for in calculating w.

melissa carey 1f

Postby melissa carey 1f » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Maria Bajenov 1I wrote:It depends on the type of system the reaction is being carried out in. If the problem specifies that it is isothermal, use Cp. It it is being carried out in isochoric, use Cv. If it is isobaric, use Cp to calculate q because pressure is not changing and change in volume will be accounted for in calculating w.

In the isobaric case, how would one find q?

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”