Combustion Equations  [ENDORSED]

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Yang 1J

Combustion Equations

Postby Jessica Yang 1J » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

For when we write out combustion equations and calculate enthalpy of combustion, do we treat the water in the products as a water or gas? (because I think the enthalpy of formation of water as a gas and water as a liquid is different)

Vincent Tse 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Combustion Equations

Postby Vincent Tse 1K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm

I think it's liquid water. At least, that's what I've mostly seen in the problems I've done. Have you found a problem that uses gaseous water for combustion?

Sammy Thatipelli 1B

Re: Combustion Equations  [ENDORSED]

Postby Sammy Thatipelli 1B » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

In combustion, the product water would always be liquid. We know this because the phase of water is based on the temperature by which the reaction is occurring. Reactions occurring at the standard room temperature, 25 degrees C, will produce water as a liquid. This is the case for the combustion reactions we see in the book.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 pm

The above post is well explained. A small caveat is that the water will not always be liquid in a combustion.
However, as stated, combustion at standard state conditions will produce liquid water.

AtreyiMitra2L

Postby AtreyiMitra2L » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 pm

The book says that water in the liquid form will be formed only with organic compounds. When it is not an organic compund, then gas will be formed.

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”