Extensive/Intensive Property  [ENDORSED]

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Connie2I

Extensive/Intensive Property

Postby Connie2I » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 pm

What does being an intensive/extensive property mean?

Kelly Seto 2J

Re: Extensive/Intensive Property

Postby Kelly Seto 2J » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 am

Extensive properties depend of the amount of substance or matter measured while intensive properties, like boiling point and density, do not

Angel Gomez 1K

Postby Angel Gomez 1K » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 am

To add to the above response, you can also consider heat capacity vs. specific heat capacity.

The heat capacity of a bomb calorimeter, for example, does not depend on the amount of substance because it is a defined object. It has a specified mass for which to measure it's heat capacity, and we cannot change that mass-- we do not consider it. Therefore, we measure the heat capacity of the calorimeter as a whole. This makes heat capacity an intensive property to the calorimeter.

On the other hand, specific heat capacity is measured in the units J/°C* g. As you can tell, it measures how many joules it will take to raise ONE GRAM of a substance by one degree celsius. Therefore, because specific heat capacity is dependent on the amount of a substance, it is an extensive property. We need to measure the amount of substance before we find specific heat.

Shreya Ramineni 2L

Postby Shreya Ramineni 2L » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Intensive properties do not depend on quantity while extensive do. Intensive are preferred because they are more standardized.

Kaylin Krahn 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Extensive/Intensive Property  [ENDORSED]

Postby Kaylin Krahn 1I » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:01 pm

You can change an extensive property to intensive by dividing it by something like mass so that it is not "dependent" anymore

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”