Heating Curve

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

makenzie2K

Heating Curve

Postby makenzie2K » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 pm

In the heating curve diagram, in general is the amount of heat released during exothermic phase changes (melting and vaporization) EXACTLY equal to the heat used to break the bonds? I just noticed that the lines in the heating curve depicted in phase changes had no slope which indicates that the positive heat and negative heat cancel each other out.

Shubham Rai 2C

Re: Heating Curve

Postby Shubham Rai 2C » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Melting and vaporizing do have to do with breaking small intermolecular bonds, however, I think that the majority of the heat is transferred to the molecules themselves and is translated into kinetic energy. I infer this as the molecules in the liquid state move around at greater speeds than those at solid. Hopefully, this is helpful even though it might not answer your question completely.

Kevin ODonnell 2B

Re: Heating Curve

Postby Kevin ODonnell 2B » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:42 am

I would assume so yes just based off the assumption that you can't create heat without any work being done. So any heat released from the breaking of molecules would be from the exact energy stored in those bonds.

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”