isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EmilyC_3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Laws of Thermodynamics

Postby EmilyC_3D » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:04 am

I was wondering if anyone had a good trick to remembering each of the 3 laws of thermodynamics. Should we try to memorize what equations are associated with each law, or should we just generally remember the equations?

Kushaal Madadi 2F

Re: Laws of Thermodynamics

Postby Kushaal Madadi 2F » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:07 am

Well there are only three laws and they are pretty fundamental. I suggest you really commit to understanding the conceptual output of each of the laws. For example, a central outgrowth of the first law of thermodynamics is that an isolated system as no change in internal energy.

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Lavelle likes to ask conceptual questions on mid terms and finals. I think to him understanding why the outcomes of a certain equation are true or why a certain equation can be used to solve probelms is more important than being able to plug numbers in and get an answer out. So I would say understand the concepts rather than memorize the equations.

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Although he will ask conceptual questions, it doesn't help to memorize them! I found this online, which helps me.

1. You can’t win. / Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change forms.
2. You can’t break even. / The entropy of an isolated system not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time, approaching a maximum value at equilibrium.
3. You can’t quit the game. / As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a system approaches a constant minimum.

Ranen_Chang_2G

Postby Ranen_Chang_2G » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 pm

I think its best to have a good understanding of each equation and how it relates to the laws of thermodynamics. If you know how the equation works than you know how the law works.

alette1a

Postby alette1a » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

I like to think of the laws conceptually. Visualizing it in my head helps me remember.
1. The internal energy of a system can change based only on heat and work.
2. The introduction of heat will create a change in entropy. By how much the entropy changes is dependent on the temperature that our surroundings were at originally.
3. A perfectly ordered crystal occurs at the absolute lowest temperature.

DominicMalilay 1F

Postby DominicMalilay 1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 pm

1st law I think to be most fundamental, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Second is the trickiest one saying that entropy never decreases in isolated systems, and third you can think of that the molecules stop moving as T approaches 0K, so the entropy will theoretically be zero.

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”