Work

isochoric/isometric:
isothermal:
isobaric:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Argueta 1E

Work

Postby Michelle Argueta 1E » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I am a little confused on how to distinguish the difference between when work is done ON the system versus when work is done BY the system. I would appreciate the clarification.

Sophia Zhao

Re: Work

Postby Sophia Zhao » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:49 pm

When the volume of the system expands, work is done by the system because the air molecules above the system is pushed aside. When work is done ON the system, outside forces compress the molecules within the system, so volume decreases.

daniellediem1k

Postby daniellediem1k » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Work being done ON the system means that an outside entity is exerting work on the system and work done BY the system means work being done within the realm of the system itself.

Triston Dinh 1D

Postby Triston Dinh 1D » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 pm

If work is done by a system, the system is using energy, therefore losing its internal energy causing a negative w. An example would be gas molecules pushing against a piston and expanding the volume of a system. If work is done ON a system, energy is being put into the system making w positive. An example would be a piston compressing gas molecules and lowering the volume of the system.

Jeffrey Yang 3I

Postby Jeffrey Yang 3I » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:49 pm

Work is done on the system when the inside gas or the products are losing energy to the system in order to cause this work. Work is done by the system when the energy of the system increases.

Bela Patel 2B

Postby Bela Patel 2B » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:06 pm

When work is done ON the system, the volume of the system will expand and it will gain energy, while when work being done BY the system the volume will decrease and energy will be lost.

Return to “Thermodynamic Definitions (isochoric/isometric, isothermal, isobaric)”