Inert Gasses and work

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aditya Narashim 1K

Inert Gasses and work

Postby Aditya Narashim 1K » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:54 pm

Is the work done by an inert gas the same as work done by a normal substance? I remember we talked about inert gasses not affecting systems so I was confused about this?

Deep Mehta

Re: Inert Gasses and work

Postby Deep Mehta » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:57 pm

I'm not sure if no effect from adding an inert gas as part of La Chateliers has any association with work. I think work done by an inert gas is similar to work done by a normal substance

Jasmin Gonzalez

Postby Jasmin Gonzalez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:14 pm

work done by an inert gas does follow the same thermodynamic principles as work done by any other substance, but the inert nature of these certain gases means they most likely do not chemically interact with the system components. So they probably do not chemically react with substances in a system, but they can still influence system behavior through physical processes such as pressure changes.

Lexi Brownsberger 2E

Postby Lexi Brownsberger 2E » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:23 pm

Inert gases do not react with the products or reactants which means that they have no impact on system behavior. A question that is commonly seen regards a closed container where an inert gas is pumped into it. The question asks if this increases/decreases the pressure, but the answer is neither because an inert gas will have no impact on the workings of the system since it doesn't interact with its molecules.

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”