Equations for w

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Tsui 1H

Equations for w

Postby Jessica Tsui 1H » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm a little confused. What was the point of showing the integral for the work equation to arrive at the same work of expansion equation (w = -PV)?

Kyle Golden Dis 2G

Re: Equations for w

Postby Kyle Golden Dis 2G » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 pm

Dr. Lavelle was basically showing us the proof behind the work equation which is why he got the integral.

Brian Chhoy 4I

Postby Brian Chhoy 4I » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:11 am

The integral equation is used when calculating reversible expansion done by a gas, since in this case it is set up so that the change in pressure occurs in small increments till it reaches the volume it should be at in equilibrium. In reversible expansion, the external and internal pressures are nearly identical so that the small changes in pressure will cause a change in the volume. The integral is later substituted for a ln(V2/V1) in the function.

Annalyn Diaz 1J

Postby Annalyn Diaz 1J » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 am

Brian Chhoy 4I wrote:The integral equation is used when calculating reversible expansion done by a gas, since in this case it is set up so that the change in pressure occurs in small increments till it reaches the volume it should be at in equilibrium. In reversible expansion, the external and internal pressures are nearly identical so that the small changes in pressure will cause a change in the volume. The integral is later substituted for a ln(V2/V1) in the function.

Why is the integral replaced with the ln(V2/V1)?

SydBenedict2H

Postby SydBenedict2H » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:11 pm

So does this mean we aren't going to have to use the integral formula to calculate anything on tests?

MichaelMoreno2G

Postby MichaelMoreno2G » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:18 pm

SydBenedict2H wrote:So does this mean we aren't going to have to use the integral formula to calculate anything on tests?

Most likely not, but I would still know it just in case.

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”