Irreversible vs. Reversible Reactions

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rachel Yu 1G

Irreversible vs. Reversible Reactions

Postby Rachel Yu 1G » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:59 pm

What is the difference between reversible and irreversible reactions besides that different equations are used to solve for w?

Daniel Honeychurch1C

Re: Irreversible vs. Reversible Reactions

Postby Daniel Honeychurch1C » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:24 pm

A reversible reaction can be undone; for example, a compressed gas can expand to its original state if the piston is free to move. An irreversible reaction cannot be undone; for example, a gas is compressed with a piston and then the piston is locked with a pin preventing the gas from expanding.

TarynD_1I

Postby TarynD_1I » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm

During reversible reactions, products and reactants are always being made (going back and forth), while in irreversible reactions products can't revert back to what it was as a reactant. I also think that during reversible reactions, the system stays at equilibrium, and during irreversible reactions the system does not stay at equilibrium.
Last edited by TarynD_1I on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angela Patel 2J

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

TarynD_1I wrote:During reversible reactions, products and reactants are always being made (going back and forth), while in irreversible reactions products can't revert back to what it was as a reactant. I also think that during reversible reactions, the system stays at thermodynamic equilibrium, and during irreversible reactions the system does not stay at thermodynamic equilibrium.

What does it mean for something to be at thermodynamic equilibrium?

Anisha Chandra 1K

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:05 pm

During a reversible reaction, a small infinitesimal change can immediately affect the movement of the piston and reversing that small change would also reverse the movement of the piston.

Tiffany_Chen 2K

Postby Tiffany_Chen 2K » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm

A reversible reaction would not increase the entropy of the system or surroundings, as it maintains a thermodynamic equilibrium. A irreversible system is most common, as it takes the reaction away from equilibrium (then energy will need to be put in to reverse the system).

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Angela Patel 2J wrote:
TarynD_1I wrote:During reversible reactions, products and reactants are always being made (going back and forth), while in irreversible reactions products can't revert back to what it was as a reactant. I also think that during reversible reactions, the system stays at thermodynamic equilibrium, and during irreversible reactions the system does not stay at thermodynamic equilibrium.

What does it mean for something to be at thermodynamic equilibrium?

Hello,

The system and its surroundings are said to be in thermal equilibrium when the temperatures are the same and energy flows as heat in both directions at the same rate.

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”