Work

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EthanPham_1G

Work

Postby EthanPham_1G » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Can someone explain what work is? I honestly don't know. Thank you.

SimranSangha4I

Re: Work

Postby SimranSangha4I » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Work can be defined as the product of the force used to move an object times the distance the object is moved.

KSong_1J

Postby KSong_1J » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Work is a form of energy; when work is done on a system, that means that energy is transferred into the system by its surroundings. The textbook definition of work states that it’s “the process of achieving motion against an opposing force” and is equal to the product of an opposing force and distance moved.

AGaeta_2C

Postby AGaeta_2C » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 pm

For 14B, we really only have to worry about work of expansion and work of compression.
ΔU= q + w
where ΔU is the total change of (internal) energy of a system, q is the energy in the form of heat gained/lost by the system, and w is the energy in the form of work done on/by the system.
A negative value for w indicates that work of expansion is being done by the system, which is usually composed of gases. Work of expansion means that the volume of the system increased, either by being heated or expanding against a piston.
A positive value for w indicates that work of compression is being done on the system. In this case, the volume of the system decreased, either by cooling or being compressed by a piston. Energy in the form of work was being put into the system by the surroundings to cause compression.

Natalie Benitez 1E

Postby Natalie Benitez 1E » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:32 pm

How do we know whether work is positive or negative?

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”