irreversible process

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Henry_2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

irreversible process

Postby Henry_2A » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:01 am

Hi!

Why is the greatest work done when the process is irreversible? In particular, I understand the idea that external pressure is matched with the pressure of the gas at every stage (infinitely small changes), but I can't seem to grasp the connection between that and maximum work.

Jose Angelo Grajeda 2D

Re: irreversible process

Postby Jose Angelo Grajeda 2D » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm

Hello! So actually I believe the greatest work occurs in a reversible process. When ∆Vi changes infinitesimally like that (in very small changes), then Pressure likewise changes in very small fluctuations, to the point where Pinternal ≈ Pexternal like you said! Since pressure internally is matched to pressure externally, the pressures along the pathway are approximately the same at each step, so we consider this to be a "reversible" expansion. The work done is calculated by P*∆V at every infinitely small step, so this process is really slow, but it does more work (because there are more P*∆V calculations, especially at a higher value for both).

Now, in an irreversible reaction, Pex < Pinternal, so there is one fast change, but it does less work (because there is simply one constant P and P*∆V calculated). Therefore, reversible expansions do more work than irreversible ones, I think. Hope this helps!

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”