Fundaments M13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Erika Patel 3I

Fundaments M13

Postby Erika Patel 3I » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:44 pm

I am unsure how to approach this problem and was hoping someone could help me out. I converted each product amount to moles of C and H respectively but am not sure if that is necessary or what to do from there.

PCBs were once widely used industrial chemicals but were found to pose a risk to health and the environment. PCBs only contain carbon, hydrogen and chlorine. Aroclor 1254 is the trade name for a PCB w/ molar mass 360.88 g/mol. Combustion of 1.52 g Aroclor produced 2.224 g of CO2 and combustion of 2.53 g produced 0.2530 g H2O. How many chlorine atoms does an Arolclor molecule contain?

JadaArreola_2E

Re: Fundaments M13

Postby JadaArreola_2E » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:24 am

From what I understand about the question being asked, converting to moles did not have to be done. Instead, you would look at the molar masses of the atoms themselves. We would need the moles of CO2 and H20, not C and H individually. You would have to balance the equation of the combustion, from there you find the moles of CO2 and H2O (which is what is really needed). You would then find the molar mass of Aroclor 1254 by looking at how the combustion resulted in a given amount of grams produced and from there you can find the molar mass difference between Aroclar 1254 and H2O and CO2. After that, you would need to find how many chlorine atoms one singular Acoclor molecule can contain. Overall, mols would not be needed for the atoms themselves but instead the molar masses.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”