Extensive vs. Intensive properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ethan Vuong 3G

Extensive vs. Intensive properties

Postby Ethan Vuong 3G » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi, so I was confused on the differences between extensive and intensive properties. I wrote down that it has something to do with size, but im still confused. Can someone help me please? Thanks! Also does anyone know good supplemental videos or lessons that can help me review high school chem, since I didn't take AP chem in high school?

Matt_Fontila_2L_Chem14B

Re: Extensive vs. Intensive properties

Postby Matt_Fontila_2L_Chem14B » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:31 pm

An extensive property is a characteristic dependent on the amount of material present. Volume, weight, and mass are examples of extensive properties. An intensive property is independent of all outside influences. An intensive property does not change depending on the amount of material present. Density is an example of an intensive property.

For example 5 L of H20 has more weight than 2 L of H20. However, both amounts of water have the same density. Weight is an extensive property. Density is an intensive property.

As for refresher videos, I used bozemanscience.com for help when I was in high school.

Jingyi Li 2C

Re: Extensive vs. Intensive properties

Postby Jingyi Li 2C » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

An extensive property depends on the size of the matter, such as volume. An intensive property doesn't depend on the amount, e.g. density. It doesn't change even though the size of the matter changes.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”