What To Do When Mole Ratios Are Present?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophia Diaz - Dis 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

What To Do When Mole Ratios Are Present?

Postby Sophia Diaz - Dis 1B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 am

When you're finding the mass amount of product a limiting reactant can make I know you're supposed to use the stoichiometric ratios from the balanced equation. The example we did in class was easy since all the ratios were 1:1. But what happens if the ratios are some different like 1:2 or 3:4?

For example, let's say I found the limiting reactant to be CaCl2 at 1.56 moles and I'm trying to find the mass amount of C2H2 I can make.
If the ratio is 1:1, I know I can only make 1.56 moles C2H2.

But what if the ratio is 1:2? 3:4? Do I just multiply the mole amounts by the coefficients?

MeghetyManoyan1A

Re: What To Do When Mole Ratios Are Present?  [ENDORSED]

Postby MeghetyManoyan1A » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am

You have to multiply by the relative ratio. For example, if the ratio was 3:4, you would multiply the moles of the reactant by (4/3) to find the amount of the product that can be produced. If it asks for the amount of product produced, in grams, you wold just convert it from moles to grams using the molar mass.

Chris Qiu 1H

Re: What To Do When Mole Ratios Are Present?

Postby Chris Qiu 1H » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 pm

For balanced equations where the moles arn't one to one make a conversion like how you would do with grams or liters. Manipulate the ratio, whatever it may be, so that the moles of whichever element you want it the only unit remaining. i.e If you have 1.6 moles of compound X and want to know how much Y you can make, If the ratio is 3X:5Y you would multiply the 1.6 by 5/3 to cancel out the X's.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”