alternate method to calculating limiting reactant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anushi Patel 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

alternate method to calculating limiting reactant

Postby Anushi Patel 1J » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:19 pm

In high school, my chemistry teacher taught us a way to find which reactant was the limiting one by:
-finding the number of moles of each reactant
-using the stoichiometric ratios to convert to the number of moles of a product formed by each reactant (we would pick any of the products)
-the reactant that yielded the smallest number of moles of product was the limiting reactant
I find this method easier to conceptualize than the method Dr. Lavelle taught in class where we compared the number of moles of the reactants based on stoichiometric formulas. Does anyone else remember being taught this alternate way, and do you know if Dr. Lavelle accepts this method on his tests?

Kensharra D 3J

Re: alternate method to calculating limiting reactant

Postby Kensharra D 3J » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Do you mind giving an example of what you are describing?
It sounds a bit simpler, but I haven't taken chemistry in about 4 years, so chemistry is a bit hazy for me. Anything easier sounds better.
Thank you.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Yes, this is acceptable for finding limiting reactant. This is how the solutions manual sometimes sets up limiting reactant problems.

Jewelyana3A

Postby Jewelyana3A » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 pm

I think that the way you were taught and the steps that Professor Lavelle showed us are very similar. I believe that he was just providing us with a more detailed step-by-step process, allowing us to better understand why the limiting reagent is a limiting reagent. I would definitely double check with maybe a TA, but as long as you are getting the same answers and are able to explain why then I believe that you are fine solving the problem the way you were taught in high school.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”