Competing Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

caseygilles 1E

Competing Reactions

Postby caseygilles 1E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:28 pm

The textbook explains "competing reactions," a reaction taking place at the same time as the one in which we are interested in and using some of the reactants. I'm confused about how we are able to tell when a competing reaction is occurring in a chemical equation when we notice actual yield is much lower than theoretical yield?

Nada AbouHaiba 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Competing Reactions

Postby Nada AbouHaiba 1I » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I don't think we're ever going to have to identify that a competing reaction is going on. The main reason they mentioned that was to show why the actual yield is less than the theoretical yield (because the reactants can be used for something other than the main reaction going on).

melodyzaki2E

Re: Competing Reactions

Postby melodyzaki2E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I believe that it is a seperate chemical equation that is happening using the same reactants, so they would probably make that distinction in the question. I think what they were trying to get across with the concept of "competing reactions" though is just that the actual yield might be less than the theoretical yield because reactants are being used up by a separate chemical reaction that is happening simultaneously. I could be totally off though :/

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”