Defining compounds in equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Veronica Soliman 4H

Defining compounds in equations

Postby Veronica Soliman 4H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 pm

When we write out chemical equations for either balancing or finding yield, is it necessary to define whether each compound is a liquid, solid, gas, aqueous? Additionally, would someone mind explaining in the simplest terms what aqueous means? I haven't taken basic/regular chem since 4 years ago so I recall nothing.

mayra martinez 1D

Re: Defining compounds in equations

Postby mayra martinez 1D » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 pm

If I recall correctly, the professor in lecture stated that he does expect us to write out the states of matter for the reactants and products in chemical equations. And in simple terms, when a molecule is defined as aqueous it means that it has been dissolved in water.

John_Richey_4A

Postby John_Richey_4A » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 pm

He answered this question kind of vaguely, but it seemed like he was saying that you don't need to at this moment. There are also compounds like the osmium one that could be basically anything, and we haven't covered anything pertaining to that anyways.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm

You should know the states of common compounds like O2, N2, H2, Ar (all gases) and metals (all solids). If it's not a simple compound that you encounter every day we will most likely tell you the state.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”