Determining Limiting Reactants

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K

Determining Limiting Reactants

Postby Eesha Chattopadhyay 2K » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:41 pm

I've noticed that some people prefer to convert to moles to grams while determining the limiting reactant of a reaction rather than comparing the molar ratios. is there is an advantage to converting other than just preference?

Daniel Yu 1E

Re: Determining Limiting Reactants

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 pm

I think generally converting moles to grams before you have determined the limiting reactant makes the equation a little more complicated and leaves more room for error. Maybe in an equation where you can't determine the moles for every singe element, using grams would be the easiest method. E.g. if you have oxygen present in a molecule and as oxygen gas and you aren't given enough information to solve for the moles of oxygen without first converting everything to grams or %mass compositions. If they just do it all the time for all the problems, maybe they just learned to do it that way and it works for them.

Christine Honda 2I

Re: Determining Limiting Reactants

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 pm

In my opinion, I think leaving it in moles is more helpful than converting it back to grams because of the extra unnecessary work. But when using the mole method, you have to remember the mole ratios and dividing by the stoichiometric coefficients to find the accurate moles needed for the reaction.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”