Excess reactants

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

McKenna_4A

Excess reactants

Postby McKenna_4A » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Once I've found a limiting reactant, how do I calculate how much of the reactant in excess remains?

Matthew Chan 1B

Re: Excess reactants

Postby Matthew Chan 1B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 am

You take the amount of reactant which is responsible for limiting the amount of product, and you have to calculate the number of moles of reactant, then multiply that by the ratio of moles in the chemical equation of limiting reactant to the excess reactant. (you're solving for the amount of the excess reactant. this value tells you how much was used in the reaction.) Then, calculate the mass of the excess reactant. Next, subtract that value from the amount of excess reactant that you were given in the problem. I'm pretty sure that this explanation made no sense, so I've attached an image of an example that will hopefully help a little bit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7gwVnhTpRANBthxG8
Attachments
IMG_0147.jpg

LNgo 1G

Postby LNgo 1G » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:09 pm

You can use stoichiometry to calculate the amount of the excess reactant that is used in the reaction with the amount of the limiting reactant that you have. Then subtract the value of the excess reactant used in the reaction from the amount given.

Amy Pham 1D

Postby Amy Pham 1D » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm

mass of limiting reactant/molar mass of limiting reactant = mols of limiting reactant

given mols of limiting reactant/given mols of excess reactant = calculated mols of limiting reactant/x, which is the amount of excess reactant used (in mols)

(mols of excess reactant used) x (molar mass of excess reactant) = mass of excess reactant used

given mass of excess reactant - mass of excess reactant used = mass of excess reactant remaining

Hope this helps!

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”