Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lily Mohtashami

Midterm

Postby Lily Mohtashami » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:26 pm

On the midterm will the questions be like those in the textbook where it will ask for the balanced chemical equation when aluminum metal reacts with chlorine gas to produce aluminum chloride? Will we be expected to know that Chlorine gas is Cl2 or know what aluminum chloride looks like? Or will we be given the equation always?

Molly_Peterson_2F

Re: Midterm

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:46 pm

I think that we will be given the chemical equations, but I am not totally sure.

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Hey, I think most chemical reactions will be given and if they are not it is likely because it a simple balancing equations problem. We will likely need to know chlorine gas is Cl2 because that was part of the review I believe.

Sean Wang 1F

Postby Sean Wang 1F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm

I think most of the chemical equations will be given, but I would know the common ones like the diatomics just in case.

Ellison Gonzales 1H

Postby Ellison Gonzales 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:47 pm

I believe the more complicated ones will be given, but like someone else said, be comfortable with the diatomics. In one of Dr. Lavelle’s office hours, he said that since we haven’t technically gone over naming elements and chemical reactions, he won’t try to trick us with that.

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:03 pm

Dr. Lavelle mentioned during office hours that we shouldn't worry about most of that since we have not learned it in this class yet. He did mention we may have to in the future but for the midterm at least, the equations should be given to us.

Bai Rong Lin 2K

Postby Bai Rong Lin 2K » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Lily Mohtashami wrote:On the midterm will the questions be like those in the textbook where it will ask for the balanced chemical equation when aluminum metal reacts with chlorine gas to produce aluminum chloride? Will we be expected to know that Chlorine gas is Cl2 or know what aluminum chloride looks like? Or will we be given the equation always?

I believe that the equations are often given to us if there are problems like those appearing on the midterm

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 pm

Lily Mohtashami wrote:On the midterm will the questions be like those in the textbook where it will ask for the balanced chemical equation when aluminum metal reacts with chlorine gas to produce aluminum chloride? Will we be expected to know that Chlorine gas is Cl2 or know what aluminum chloride looks like? Or will we be given the equation always?

There probably will be, and I recommend looking at all the textbook questions, because I heard they help a lot!

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”