Finding LR

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katie 3H

Finding LR

Postby Katie 3H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm

Also, when we find the amount of each product(in moles) and then we are given an equation; which one are we assuming is correct to find the lr? We have to compare the equation to the moles we find but do we assume the reaction is supposed to go the way the equation states or the way our numbers (found or given) state?

Crystal Ros 2L

Re: Finding LR

Postby Crystal Ros 2L » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:30 pm

When finding the limiting reactant, it is more common to see questions that give us the amount, in grams or otherwise, of each reactant. In this case, we would convert to moles and then use the molar ration to determine which of the reactants is limiting the equation. Then, using this, we would calculate the theoretical yield of the products. If I am remembering correctly, I don't recall many practice problems solely giving us the product masses as the only given information. If there were, then I am also slightly concerned about how to go backwards on that type of problem as well.

Neha Mukund

Re: Finding LR

Postby Neha Mukund » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Whenever given an equation and asked to state the Limiting Reactant, I always look at the mole-to-mole ratios of the reactants and determine which has less, which would then give one the limiting reactant.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”