Ionic Equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madison Kiggins 1E

Ionic Equations

Postby Madison Kiggins 1E » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Hello,
I noticed that in a couple of problems in the textbook, we were asked to write the net ionic equation for a given reaction. I vaguely remember doing that in high school, but am a bit rusty on it. Does anyone have any tips on how to build these equations?

Sanjana Narayanan 2J

Re: Ionic Equations

Postby Sanjana Narayanan 2J » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:47 pm

To write a net ionic equation, first take the full chemical equation and split any aqueous terms into their ions. This is because in solution, aqueous substances will dissociate. Make sure that you don't split any solids, liquids, or gases into their ions. Then, cancel any ions that appear on both sides of the equation. Your simplified form should be the net ionic equation.

William_Hora_2H

Postby William_Hora_2H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 pm

You can use a solubility table to determine if a compound will dissociate into its ions of not. If a compound is deemed soluble (it dissolves into ions in water). If a compounds is deemed insoluble (its does not dissolve into ions in water.) Here's one I've found of great use: https://www2.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/dbaril ... _table.pdf

Rebekah Han 2K

Postby Rebekah Han 2K » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:08 pm

Does anyone know if we will have to know how to write ionic equations for Midterm 1 since we haven't talked about this in class?

Jocelynn Franco 1L

Postby Jocelynn Franco 1L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Rebekah Han 2K wrote:Does anyone know if we will have to know how to write ionic equations for Midterm 1 since we haven't talked about this in class?

I hope not, I'm guessing since it wasn't even a focus in lecture, then he likely isn't going to test us on it. He's most likely going to test us on things that were emphasized in class like balancing equations, empirical formulas, molarity, dilution, etc

Postby 505705039 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:04 am

Rebekah Han 2K wrote:Does anyone know if we will have to know how to write ionic equations for Midterm 1 since we haven't talked about this in class?

I also was wondering if the last four problems on the achieve homework are going to be on our midterm.

Anthony_Rio_3K

Postby Anthony_Rio_3K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 am

No we won't have to know this. I'm pretty sure the midterm content stopped at the end of last weeks lectures.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”