Limiting Reactants with 2 equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Limiting Reactants with 2 equations

Postby 805594676 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 pm

How do you solve a limiting reactant problem with two equations? For example if they want you to find the limiting reactant from the first one and then the final product of the second equation?

Maia V 1L

Re: Limiting Reactants with 2 equations

Postby Maia V 1L » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:37 pm

It's hard to say without a specific example, but if one of the products of the first equation is a reactant in the second equation, then you would have to first find the limiting reactant of the first equation, and figure out how much product would be produced based on the limiting reactant. Now you know how much of the product of the first reaction there is and if this product is used as a reactant in the second equation, then you can use this to find how much product is produced in the second equation. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I hope it helps.

Narin Maisha 2H

Postby Narin Maisha 2H » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Typically problems that have two formulas where you need to find the limiting reactant are interconnected. One of the products from the first equation would be the reactant for the second formula, which would mean you would have to find the limiting reactant for that equation first and how it affects the product, then use that answer to find the limiting reactant for the second formula.

Ellie Fox 2K

Postby Ellie Fox 2K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:53 pm

Yes, I would say if you are given 2 reactions, they will generally connect with the products of the first being the reactants of the second. In this case, if you balance the first, then you can use the values you got and put them in the second equation.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”