Limiting Reactants Explained

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alondra Loera 1A

Limiting Reactants Explained

Postby Alondra Loera 1A » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Personally limiting reagents is a concept I have struggle to understand but I think I have finally understood it and I hope this helps anybody still struggling with this.

The limiting reagent is a reactant that determines the amount of product produced, it is also necessary in determining the final concentration of the solution mixture.

2 Na + Cl (v)2 --> 2 NaCl

In this reaction, every mole of Cl2 gas will require 2 mole of Na atoms in order to form 2 moles of sodium chloride

Assuming that the number of moles initially present in the reaction are x moles of Na and y moles of Cl2

SO if if x > 2y then the limiting reagent is Cl2 gas, since the Cl2 gas will be finished at the reactant side leaving 2y moles of NaCl and (x-2y) moles of Na atoms

BUT if x = 2y the limiting reagent is nothing, since all the rectants will be consumed in order to form the product leaving both the reactants finished leaving 2y moles of NaCl and (0) moles of Na atoms and 0 moles of Cl2 gas

ALSO if x < 2y the limiting reagent is Na atoms, since the Na atoms will be finished at the reactant side leaving 2x moles of NaCl and (y-x/2) moles of Cl2 gas (THIS IS THE CASE IN THIS EQUATION)

Hope this helps.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Limiting Reactants Explained

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Nice explanation of limiting reagents and great job clearly labeling the 3 different scenarios.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”