The laws of thermodynamics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k

The laws of thermodynamics

Postby J_Rodriguez_Dis2k » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm very confused about the laws of thermodynamics. Can someone please explain to me what are the three laws regarding thermodynamics.

PriyaKohli3B

Re: The laws of thermodynamics

Postby PriyaKohli3B » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Yes!
The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
The second law sates that the entropy of an isolated system not in thermal equilibrium will always increase.
The third law states that the entropy of a system approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero.
The link below also explains the three very well!

Source: Boundless. “The Three Laws of Thermodynamics.” Boundless Chemistry. Boundless, 14 Oct. 2015. Retrieved 31 Jan. 2016 from https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

Austin Hyun 1F

Re: The laws of thermodynamics

Postby Austin Hyun 1F » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:16 pm

So basically, the First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed; it is conserved during energy transfers or transformations. As the course reader describes on pg. 26, "the internal energy of an isolated system is constant."

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system will increase over time, while the Third Law of Thermodynamics states that at absolute zero (0 K), a perfect crystal will have an entropy of zero (http://www.livescience.com/50942-third-law-thermodynamics.html). Therefore, based upon the premise of the Second Law, the actual occurrence of a zero entropy crystal is impossible.

I hope that helps clarify things!

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”