open system

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k

open system

Postby J_Rodriguez_Dis2k » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Can anyone please explain to me why how an open system can still be used to calculate a change in volume ?

Milan M

Re: open system

Postby Milan M » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Not sure I 100% understand, but from what I have is: an open system is like a cup whereas a closed system is like a bottle. With bottles, we can't really get in there and add liquids or gas. With an open system like a graduated cylinder there can be both a transfer of mass and energy, since we can easily add/remove things from the system and compare the changes to a set point. Hopefully that answers your question for the most part.

Navi Sidhu 1F

Re: open system

Postby Navi Sidhu 1F » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 pm

I like to think of these problems like they have a moveable piston; one that moves up or down while responding to volume changes inside the beaker/cylinder in order to make the internal and external pressure equal, as it is in a open system.

For example, Gas A (3 L) and Gas B (2 L) react to form 6 Liters of Gas C. Since there was a creation of 1 L of Gas, work was done by the system.

Here's a diagram that explains what I'm saying: Image
If you want more info, visit this site: http://www.chemteam.info/Thermochem/PV-Work.html

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”