Heat versus work

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kayla Tchorz-Dis 1F

Heat versus work

Postby Kayla Tchorz-Dis 1F » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm confused on what I need to know, relevently, about the difference between work and heat. I know that heat is the energy associated with the random motion of particles, and work is energy of ordered motion in one direction, but I'm still confused as to what that really means. Thanks in advance!

SPandya1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Heat versus work

Postby SPandya1F » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Heat and work are similar in that they both describe energy transfer.
I think of work as referring to something more mechanical, like pushing a piston.
I think of heat as referring to the thermal process thats responsible for temperature differences.

Julianna Thrasher 1B

Postby Julianna Thrasher 1B » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred due to a temperature difference. Heat flows from a high temperature region to a lower temperature region. Temperature measures the flow of heat energy, or the speed of the random moving particles. Work is "the process of achieving motion against an opposing force" (section 8.2). If a system can do a lot of work, then it possesses a lot of energy. This energy of ordered motion is channeled in one direction in order to do work on of by the system.

Niyanta Joshi 1F

Postby Niyanta Joshi 1F » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:49 pm

I found it interesting that although work and heat are interchangeable forms of energy, while work can be fully transferred into heat, the vice versa is not true. This is because if heat is fully transformed into work, it would violate the laws of entropy, i.e, a closed system's entropy cannot decrease.

Marina Georgies 1C

Postby Marina Georgies 1C » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 pm

From the textbook: "The fundamental molecular difference between work and heat is related to the orderliness with which atoms in the surroundings move. When energy is transferred as work, the system moves molecules in the surroundings in a definite direction... During the transfer of energy as heat, the molecules in the surroundings are moved in random directions" p. 272

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Work is very similar to heat except that work has a direction (i.e energy is used to push a piston up) whereas heat is the random collision of fast and slow molecules, causing energy to be transferred from the faster moving molecules to the slower ones.

Ashley Garcia 2L

Postby Ashley Garcia 2L » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Heat and work are both forms of energy. Heat is the energy associated with the random motion of particles, while work is the energy of ordered motion in a specific direction.

First Law: Heat and work contribute to the total energy of the system. ΔU = q + w
Second Law: Work can be transformed into heat, but heat cannot be transformed into work.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”