∆U equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Remi Lathrop 1G

∆U equation

Postby Remi Lathrop 1G » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:49 pm

I was on chemistry community and I came across a UA worksheet on which the equation ∆U = 3/2nR∆T was used to solve for internal energy. I don't remember learning this in lecture and this equation isn't on the equation sheet, so should we know this equation? If so, when can we use this equation as opposed to ∆U = w + q?

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: ∆U equation

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 pm

I remember learning in physics this equation relates internal energy to temperature. I don't think we will have to use this equation on any test to calculate anything but we might have to understand what the equation. I generally think of this equation when an isothermal process comes into play ... we know that the temperature stays constant by definition so we also know that the internal energy will stay constant. If this equation is taken more in depth it can also be a way of relating kinetic energy of particles to internal energy which makes sense ... but I don't think we'll need to calculate anything with this equation on any test.

mendozayael_2H

Re: ∆U equation

Postby mendozayael_2H » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Don't think it'll be on the midterm but I think the 3/2R could be the value for constant volume for the work done in the system. In that case, q would have to equal 0.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”