First Law

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KBELTRAMI_1E

First Law

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:32 pm

I might be way over my head in this concept, but if the Universe is theoretically constantly expanding, how can we say that energy can neither be created or destroyed? Does that mean that matter is just expanding further into the universe and therefore further from the Earth, and consequently the Earth will slowly be pulled apart and the matter will disband? I have so many questions about this. I guess space doesn't have boundaries so this is in a sense, arbitrary. Anyway I couldn't continue studying without putting this question out there because I feel like I'm missing something regarding the concept of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

charleejohnson1L

Re: First Law

Postby charleejohnson1L » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:51 pm

If we took that into consideration, we could never use measurements because they'd always be expanding or growing or something like that. Chem's a lot easier if you don't think super deep about it haha. :)

KBELTRAMI_1E

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 pm

charleejohnson1L wrote:If we took that into consideration, we could never use measurements because they'd always be expanding or growing or something like that. Chem's a lot easier if you don't think super deep about it haha. :)

Thank you for responding!! This relieved a lot of my anxiety around the subject.

alex_4l

Postby alex_4l » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 pm

In regards to the question of matter having a sort of "limit," in astronomy it's explained that every source of matter is concentrated into different things and recycled over time (example: when we die our bodied and energy and released back into decomposition and when a super nova occurs it releases elements and pieces that make up new planets and add onto others. In relation to the idea that the universe is expanding and what happens to matter since there is only so much, that topic hasn't really been fully figured out but the theory is that the universe just spreads out like a piece of dough being rolled out thinner and thinner and the matter itself is more concentrated in other areas than others. Hope that makes sense and helps put your mind at ease :)

alex_4l

Postby alex_4l » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 am

Also, this theory might not be 100% the truth of what is going on with matter while the universe is expanding because it's just an idea and cannot be proven from our knowledge and understanding until technology advances to a more extreme level. However, this is the most common and easiest to understand idea

Sreyes_1C

Postby Sreyes_1C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Dang, studying for the midterm but this question has me curious now. I honestly have no idea but if we are trying to put it in context of that law, I guess matter isn't being created but rather expanded and recycled. But then again I don't know much about space and the universe. it'd be really crazy if all our understandings of science turn out to be wrong one day.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”