Lecture example

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shanzey

Lecture example

Postby Shanzey » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:58 pm

In lecture during Monday of week 4, Dr. Lavelle did an example of a neutralization reaction. When he did the question, he used the Q= mC(delta)T equation, which I understand; however, he used 100g as his mass for the equation. In order to find the mass, did he add the 50ml of each solution and then convert to g using the density information given? Do the concentrations of each solution not matter when calculating the heat?

For reference:
e.g. In a constant pressure calorimeter at 25 degrees C mix 50.0 ml each of 1.0M HCL and 1.0M NaOH after mixing T= 31.9 degrees Celsius. Therefore, the neutralization reaction is exothermic. How much heat is released? Assume density of solution is about 1.0 g.ml-1 (pure water and use specific heat capacity of water, 4.18 J.C-1.g-1.
H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) --> H2O (l)

Adam Kramer 1A

Re: Lecture example

Postby Adam Kramer 1A » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 pm

He used the density of the liquid to find the mass. He did this because specific heat capacity has grams in the units, so it can be interpreted as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance one degree. If he used molar heat capacity, then he would need to find the moles of the substance, and so on.It depends on what the units call for in the given information.

Vinita Saxena 2I

Re: Lecture example

Postby Vinita Saxena 2I » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:36 am

In this case, specific heat capacity uses grams, but if he had used the molar heat capacity then he would have needed to convert to moles using the concentrations.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”