Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am


Postby Drishti_Jain_1D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

Is there anyway to obtain the change in entropy when only change in enthalpy is known? Is there a derivation in which this would be possible, or do you just assume change in enthalpy acts like a heat (q)?

Jerry Wang 1L
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Entropy

Postby Jerry Wang 1L » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 am


To my knowledge, it is not possible to get entropy change from only the enthalpy change. Temperature must be known. If we look at the units, this is already telling because entropy is in J/K while enthalpy is in J (or kJ). q often is the enthalpy change, of which when we divide by temperature, we will get the change in entropy.

Vincent Tse 2B
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Entropy

Postby Vincent Tse 2B » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm

At constant pressure, the change in enthalpy will be equivalent to heat (qp).

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests