Page 1 of 1


Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am
by Drishti_Jain_1D
Is there anyway to obtain the change in entropy when only change in enthalpy is known? Is there a derivation in which this would be possible, or do you just assume change in enthalpy acts like a heat (q)?

Re: Entropy

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 am
by Jerry Wang 1L

To my knowledge, it is not possible to get entropy change from only the enthalpy change. Temperature must be known. If we look at the units, this is already telling because entropy is in J/K while enthalpy is in J (or kJ). q often is the enthalpy change, of which when we divide by temperature, we will get the change in entropy.

Re: Entropy

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm
by Vincent Tse 2B
At constant pressure, the change in enthalpy will be equivalent to heat (qp).