Relationship between entropy and volume in liquids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mary Becerra 2D

Relationship between entropy and volume in liquids

Postby Mary Becerra 2D » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:35 pm

I know that when you increase the volume of a gas, you increase the entropy since the gas now has more positions available to it, however, is this the same with liquid? Or do you have to take gravity into account since that would limit its positions? For example, would entropy increase for a liquid if you expanded the volume of a liquid in zero gravity, which would make its behavior more gas-like?

Ethan Vuong 3G

Re: Relationship between entropy and volume in liquids

Postby Ethan Vuong 3G » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Yeah so the entropy of gas molecules are much larger than that of liquid and solid molecules. Would zero gravity make it seem more gas like? I feel like for water to be more gas like, there has to be some vaporization, but that would just be a phase change and that would affect the entropy.

Allison Young 1K

Postby Allison Young 1K » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Liquids have a definite volume, so you can't expand the volume. Only gases can expand. In zero gravity, I think the total volume of the liquid is the same, but it would just be in different places, like if you had a bunch of separate containers of water.

Yixin Angela Wang 2H

Postby Yixin Angela Wang 2H » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't think you can really compress or expand a liquid's volume, but you can increase its entropy by mixing it with another substance or increasing its temperature.

Irma Ramos 2I

Postby Irma Ramos 2I » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 am

In lecture, it was mentioned how entropy increases as a solid melts or turns into a liquid, and entropy decreases when a liquid goes to a solid. This would support the above post about the relationship between temperature change and entropy.

Abby Ellstrom 1I

Postby Abby Ellstrom 1I » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 pm

If you increase the volume of any substance, the entropy also increases. However the entropy of gas is much larger than that of liquids.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”