More Entropy vs. Less Entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andy Liao 1B

More Entropy vs. Less Entropy

Postby Andy Liao 1B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am

Can someone please explain why more entropy is favorable over less entropy? I can't seem to grasp the logic behind the idea that disorder is more favorable than order. Thanks.

Adrienne Dang 1B

Re: More Entropy vs. Less Entropy

Postby Adrienne Dang 1B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 am

I'm not sure if we've gone over this in class, but I think the principle of minimum energy and the entropy maximum principle should help you understand this concept more! Also, I think referring to entropy as disorder is probably causing more misunderstanding about this topic.

Kevin Ru 1D

Postby Kevin Ru 1D » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Dr. Lavelle has been making a point to avoid using the word "disorder" when discussing entropy, so I believe avoiding that terminology might help with understanding it. Based on the two principles mentioned above, a system is stable when the internal energy is at its minimum and the entropy is at its maximum. You can think of it as resulting in a greater negative change in free energy which is preferred, but looking up those two principles will give you a more specific understanding. Hope that helps!

Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I

Postby Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Yes, I think when Dr. Lavelle says disorder it gets a bit confusing.

Basically, entropy increases when the temperature increases. Therefore, something with larger volume and lower pressure has more entropy; whereas something with lower volume and the larger press has less entropy.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”