Question About Entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andy Liao 1B

Question About Entropy

Postby Andy Liao 1B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 am

I was wondering what the statement "Entropy is a measure of unavailable energy" means. Can someone please explain? Thanks.

Adrienne Dang 1B

Re: Question About Entropy

Postby Adrienne Dang 1B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:40 am

It's basically just saying that the entire internal energy of a system is not all convertible into useful work. The portion that can be converted into useful work can be referred to as the available energy, and the portion that cannot is the unavailable energy. And I believe entropy is the measure of this unavailable energy

Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I

Postby Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm

To add to this, entropy is described to measure the disorder in a system. With that comes a basis of different available orders of molecules in a given system.

SPandya1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby SPandya1F » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm

The first law of thermodynamics is basically the conservation of energy. Energy can't be created or destroyed; however, it can change from more useful forms to less useful forms. Every energy transfer has some amount of less useful energy generated (usually in the form of heat). Heat that doesn't do work increases the randomness (disorder) of the universe. Entropy is the degree of randomness (disorder) in a system. Since every energy transfer results in some amount turning into heat (or unusable energy), and heat that is not doing work increases the randomness of the universe, we can say entropy is a measure of unavailable energy.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”